Member Terms and Conditions
Costco Wholesale Corporation Privacy Statement – Australia
Costco's Commitment to Privacy
We respect your right to privacy. Your ability to make informed choices about the uses of your information is important to us. This privacy statement explains our policy regarding the collection, use, disclosure and protection of personal information. The terms of this privacy statement apply to information collected from you unless different terms are specified as part of a special offer or in another form or contract we provide you and you consent to those terms by participating in the special offer or the program or otherwise. The paragraphs below provide detailed information about our privacy practices.
What is Personal Information?
Personal information is information or an opinion that identifies an individual or is directly associated with a specific person or entity such as a customer's name, address, telephone number, e-mail address, debit card number or information about activities which can be directly linked to that person, such as his or her purchases. Personal information also includes information such as your medical history.
As a convenience to our members we allow the primary cardholder to nominate his/her spouse or others to membership.
In all circumstances, other than your choice to opt-out (see Choice below) reference in this policy statement to "you" or "your" also includes your spouse and the others added onto your membership by you. Reference in this statement to "information you provide" includes information provided by you, your spouse or others added on.
Our definition of personal information does not include "aggregate" information. Aggregate information is data we collect about a group or category of products, services or customers, from which individual customer identities have been removed. In other words, information about how you use a service may be collected and combined with information about how others use the same service. No personal information will be included in the resulting data. Likewise, information about the products you purchase may be collected and combined with information about the products purchased by others. Aggregate data helps us understand trends and customer needs so that we can better consider new products and services and tailor existing products and services to customer desires.
Collection Of Personal Information
We collect the personal information that you provide us, such as when you.
- Sign up for or renew your Costco membership.
- Purchase products or services at our warehouse locations.
- Contact us for any reason, such as by replying to enquiries by mail or fax, by telephone through customer service or in person at one of our locations.
Use of Personal Information by Costco
The personal information we collect is generally used to process your requests or transactions at any Costco in Australia or abroad. Provide you with high-quality service, tell you about opportunities we think will be of interest (including by direct marketing) and understand your needs so that we can serve you better.
For example we may use your telephone number, your e-mail or your postal address to (1) alert you about product recalls or safety issues or (2) communicate membership opportunities and programs. We also may use personal information we collect to provide you with promotional information, which is information we believe will add value to your membership. Such as coupon savings booklets, promotions or information about Member Services ("Promotional Information"). If you prefer not to receive Promotional Information from us, we make it easy for you to let us know. You can contact us at any time to decline Promotional Information (see Choice below).
Sharing of Personal Information
We do not sell, rent, share or disclose personal information to third parties without your prior consent, except in the limited circumstances described below.
We may provide to a third party certain information that is necessary to fulfil an order you have placed with us. For example. If you pay by a debit card, your card number and sales transaction information are passed on to the card processor and/or issuer (including their service providers such as fraud verification services). However we give vendors, suppliers and others involved in the commerce distribution chain only the information needed to provide you the products or services you order. Such as shipping and/or billing address, e-mail address, telephone number and product orders. Moreover, we require them to keep the information confidential and not to use it for other purposes. We are not responsible for any additional information you provide directly to these parties and we encourage you to become familiar with their practices before disclosing information directly to them
In addition we may disclose personal information in the good faith belief that we are lawfully authorised to do so or that doing so is reasonably necessary to comply with legal process or authorities. Respond to any claims or to protect the rights, property or personal safety of Costco Wholesale, our customers, our employees or the public. Information about our customers including personal information may be disclosed or transferred as part of or during negotiations of or any merger, sale of company assets or acquisition
Protection of Personal Information
We have put into place security measures in an effort to protect personal information from loss, misuse or alteration. Personal information we collect is stored electronically and in hard copy form and may be combined with other membership information. We use technical, contractual, administrative and physical measures in an effort to protect against unauthorised access. This information may be stored in a jurisdiction outside Australia and/or shared with service providers and other Costco companies. Any company, including other Costco companies must use the information only for the purpose for which we share it and we endeavour to make sure that any recipient of your information also has adequate measures in place to protect your information against unauthorised access.
We give you the opportunity to opt-out of receiving certain information or to request that certain information not be shared with third parties by giving you numerous methods to inform us of your decision. Your choice to opt-out will not apply to your spouse or any other individual including other family members.
If you do not want to receive Promotional Information (see Use of Personal Information by Costco) or information about Member Services, you can (a) visit us at our Membership desk at any Costco warehouse location (b) call us at 02-9469-7999 (c) e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or (d) write us at Costco Wholesale Australia Pty Ltd, Australian Home Office, 17-21 Parramatta Road, Lidcombe NSW 2141.
If you do not want to receive promotional e-mails, you can (a) call us at 02-9469-7999 (b) e-mail us at email@example.com or (c) write us at Costco Wholesale Australia Pty Ltd, Australian Home Office, 17-21 Parramatta Road, Lidcombe NSW 2141. You also have the option of utilising the unsubscribe facility.
Please note, even if you opt-out of communication with Costco. Costco reserves the right to use your contact details including your e-mail address to alert you about product recalls or safety issues.
In the case of telemarketing calls. You should familiarise yourself with any rights which you may have under the Do Not Call Register Act 2006 (Cth).
Questions Or Concerns
If you have any questions or concerns about this privacy statement or would like to contact us for any reason, you can do the following:
Visit us at our Membership desk at any Costco warehouse location.
Call us at 02-9469-7999.
E-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Write us at Costco Wholesale Australia Pty Ltd, Australian Home Office, 17-21 Parramatta Road, Lidcombe NSW 2141.
Changes to This Statement
We reserve the right to change this privacy statement at any time. We will alert you that changes have been made by indicating at the top of the privacy statement the date it was last updated. We encourage you to review our privacy statement to make sure you understand how information you provide will be used. If there is ever a material change to how we use information you provide and the new uses are unrelated to uses we disclose in this statement, we will communicate the changes in advance.
Terms and Conditions
We look forward to serving you as a Costco member. Your membership and the privileges and conditions of membership are described below. If you have any questions, please ask our member services personnel at any Costco membership counter or contact your local warehouse.
- Membership is available to all qualifying individuals 18 years of age and over.
- Costco reserves the right to refuse membership to any applicant and membership is revocable without cause.
- Membership is subject to any and all rules adopted by Costco including our privacy policies and practices and they may be amended from time to time without notice.
Membership Cards and Fees
- Membership fee is for a period of twelve (12) months from the date of enrolment of the primary cardholder and entitles you to acquire products and services at any Costco location worldwide.
- Your card is valid at any Costco warehouse worldwide.
- Your membership card must have a card number and your photo to be valid. If your photo is not on your card. Stop by the membership counter to have your photo taken and added to your card.
- If your card is ever lost or stolen, your picture prevents unauthorised use.
- Report lost or stolen cards to any Costco membership counter immediately or contact your local warehouse.
- Memberships may be terminated at Costco’s discretion. Cards remain the property of Costco and must be returned upon request.
- Cards are not transferable.
- A free household Card is available to a primary cardholder’s spouse, domestic partner or immediate family member over the age of 18 and living at the same address. Household Cardholders will be asked to present proof that they live at the same address as the primary cardholder.
- You may bring up to two guests in the warehouse each time you shop. Though only Costco members may purchase items.
- You will be required to show your membership card when entering any Costco warehouse and when checking out at a payment register. Photographs of membership cards cannot be used in warehouses in lieu of an actual membership card.
Renewing, Adding or Deleting Cards
- The primary member must authorise renewal or cardholder changes, including additions or deletions and is responsible for the membership.
- You will receive a renewal notice each year. Renewal fees are due no later than the last day of the month your membership expires. You may remit your renewal fee online at www.costco.com.au or at any Australian warehouse.
- Membership renewal must be completed for all cardholders on the membership when the renewal is processed. You will not receive new membership cards each year.
- Memberships renewed within 2 months after expiration of the current membership year will be extended for 12 months from the expiration date. Memberships renewed more than 2 months after such expiration will be extended for 12 months from the renewal date.
RISK-FREE 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEE
- On Membership: We will refund your membership fee in full at any time if you are dissatisfied.
- On Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell and will refund your purchase price, with the following exceptions:
- Diamonds: l.00ct or larger: Members returning a diamond over l.00ct must also present all original paperwork (IGI and/or GIA certificates) at which time they will receive a Jewellery Credit Memo. Refunds will be approved upon positive verification. This process may require 2-5 business days.
- Refunds on all watches will be approved upon positive verification. This process may require 2-5 business days.
- Special Order Kiosk and Custom Installed Programs: Custom product(s) manufactured to our members personal and unique specifications cannot be returned or refunded, except for warranty repair/replacement due to failure to meet specifications.
- Hearing Aid Products: Hearing aid products may not be covered by the 100% Satisfaction Guarantee and are covered by the terms of the purchase agreement signed at the time of purchases.
- Costco may in future restrict its return policy regarding other products. Restrictions will be shown at time of purchase.
- Each item is marked with an item number or a UPC Code. The price of the item along with the description and identifying number are posted above the item.
- We welcome cash, debit/ATM cards, VISA & Mastercard.
- Costco does not accept manufacturers’ discount coupons or other retail establishment discount coupons (other than those distributed by Costco).
- Members are welcome to bring their children and up to two guests into the warehouse however, only Costco members may purchase items.
- Parents are responsible for their children and should not leave them unattended.
- Members are responsible for their guests and other family members.
- Costco reserves the right to inspect any container, backpack, briefcase, etc. upon entering or leaving the warehouse.
- To ensure that all members are correctly charged for the merchandise purchased. All receipts and merchandise will be inspected as you leave the warehouse.
- Shirts and shoes are required.
- Liquor and tobacco sales cannot be made to minors.
- We respect your right to privacy and our Privacy Statement outlines our policies and practices in detail.
- Please obtain a copy from our membership counter or view/read the privacy statement at www.costco.com.au
- For any enquiry please contact your local warehouse.