This healthy, Indian inspired dahl is the ideal simple winter dish.
- 400g red split lentils
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 2cm piece fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 4 tsp vegetable stock powder
- 2 potatoes, chopped
- Fresh green chilli, sliced, to serve (optional)
- Fresh coriander, to serve
- 1 cup basmati rice, steamed, to serve
In a small, add garam masala, cumin and turmeric. Toast over low heat for 3–4 mins, until fragrant. Set aside.
Add lentils, garlic, onion, tomatoes, grated ginger, stock powder, toasted spices, potatoes and 4 cups water to the bowl of a 5.7L. Cook for 4 hours on high or 8 hours on low, until lentils and potatoes are tender and tomatoes have broken down. Taste, and season with salt and pepper.
Serve on steamed basmati rice with fresh green chilli and coriander to garnish.